Tuesday, January 22, 2008

3 Coatl (22-ene-2008)


Jan 22 2008 was recorded by my digital camera as my home in San Miguel de Allende rotated with the Earth around its axis into position where I could no longer see the full moon.

Another calendar at

http://www.aztec calendar.com/calendar-calculator.html

says the Solar year is 9 Tecpatl, the 365 day calendar gives trecena as 1 Calli and gives tonalli as 3 Coatl these days used the calendar coordination which was designated by Leon-Portilla.


The Mayan long count was 12.19.15.0.8 but was reported as 12.19.15.0.5 by the Leon-Portilla coordination.


There may be small comfort in the fact that the Leon-Portilla coordination says 23 Jan 2008 calls the Tonalli 4 Mizquitli and says the Maya long count is 12.19.15.0.6; after all, when does the day start and end? An uncertaunty of 1 is not so terrible in a digital system

There are three days difference in the coordination between views of the two authorities and the Mexica coordination is between the two. Well, after all this study I am happy to report that we have the picture well identified by three calendar systems. I wonder how the astronomers would have given the time of a telescopic picture from Earth .


Mexica web site does not quote the authority for their calendar.


I then attempted to release my mind from all this earth centered counting system. This is what happened.


I thought about how this scene would appear from a camera position on the surface of the moon facing toward San Miguel de Allende, Mexico.
I thought that the sun would be rather stationary in the zenith of the sky. Reason: the moon is fully illuminated at time of a full moon.
I thought that the earth was rotating in the lunar sky in a rather fixed position and that San Miguel de Allende would be at the center longitude at the same time that the moon appeared at the zenith of the San Miguel sky. This was an interesting time, when San Miguel faced the moon and the Moon faced the Sun; a time when the solar light reflected directly from surface of the moon to San Miguel.

This date may have been confusing and I have edited the post after it was originated. I will continue to post on this blog site as I explore the uses of the calendar.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico, Mexico
I am a retired Physical Scientist returning to my early interests in Social Science. I now live in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico; and another home in Rosarito Beach, Mexico; and other homes of friends in San Diego, Ca.