Friday, January 4, 2008


THE LURE

I became a member of Rotary International many years ago at the club in Rosarito Beach, Mexico. Initiation into the club included selecting a nickname. As a new member I was allowed 30 seconds to choose a nickname before the club decided for me.
I had read that the Toltecs were wise. I have always been attracted by wisdom, so I quickly choose to be called Tolteca.
Tolteca became the name of my lure.
The lure has ruled my life by many names but it may be that Tolteca is the final lure. Not because it has caught me with a hidden hook. I have followed the lure with diligence and have discovered that wisdom was not recorded there either in the form that would satisfy all my desires for knowledge. I was attracted to the lure because a book told me that the Aztecs of Mexico wrote that the Toltecs were an ancient wise people. After searching through many books I became certain that there was nothing but legends to support any existence of Toltec people.
The lure disappeared before my studies could be completed!
I will not reject the nickname of "Tolteca" because it has served a very important purpose that has directed my entire life.
I now hope to be free of "Words of Wisdom" from any source other than my own personal experience. Teachers may sometimes offer me guidance in creating my own experience and even help me understand what causes my experiences. I now have an increased state of alert in following any lure.
The next lure may have a hook which was hidden by a clever predator!








No comments:

About Me

My photo
San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico, Mexico
I am a retired Physical Scientist returning to my early interests in Social Science. I now live in San Miguel de Allende, Guanajuato, Mexico; and another home in Rosarito Beach, Mexico; and other homes of friends in San Diego, Ca.